Making mistakes is an important part of living. It’s how you grow and learn and become a better and stronger version of yourself. You never learn anything from being perfect – as long as you take what you can from it and don’t make the same mistake twice.
Here are 15 quotes from literature that will make you feel better about making mistakes.
1. “In school we learn that mistakes are bad, and we are punished for making them. Yet, if you look at the way humans are designed to learn, we learn by making mistakes. We learn to walk by falling down. If we never fell down, we would never walk.”
― Robert T. Kiyosaki, Rich Dad, Poor Dad
4. “So make those mistakes, and start over again. It’s by fumbling and repetitive that real growth and accomplishment happens.”
― Samantha Dion Baker, Draw Your Day Sketchbook: Making Ordinary Days Come to Life on Paper
5. “But what if I make a mistake?’ Will asked.
Gilan threw back his head and laughed. ‘A mistake? One mistake? You should be so lucky. You’ll make dozens! I made four or five on my first day alone! Of course you’ll make mistakes. Just don’t make any of them twice. If you do mess things up, don’t try to hide it. Don’t try to rationalize it. Recognize it and admit it and learn from it. We never stop learning, none of us.”
― John Flanagan, Erak’s Ransom
6. “It is the best way, Sarai. To learn from your mistakes is to make them. Authentically. No amount of training, no rehearsed scenario is going to teach you better than the real thing.”
― J.A. Redmerski, Reviving Izabel
9. “If you make a mistake, don’t spend precious time and energy trying to deny it or point the finger at someone else. Be a leader and own it, then spend your time and energy fixing the problem. As I’ve already noted, start-ups often fail because founders want to be seen as the smartest person in the room, which means not being wrong. Making a mistake is going to happen. None of us is perfect. But the difference between success and failure is how you handle that mistake.”
― Ziad Abdelnour, Start-Up Saboteurs: How Incompetence, Ego, and Small Thinking Prevent Wealth
10. “Each mistake teaches you something new about yourself. There is no failure, remember, except in no longer trying. It is the courage to continue that counts.”
― Chris Bradford, The Way of the Sword
11. “You’ll make mistakes and struggle like everyone, but when you are with the right person, you’ll feel almost perfect joy, like you are the luckiest person who ever lived. And that means you’ll love and be loved…and in the end, nothing else really matters.”
― Nicholas Sparks, The Best of Me
14. “All around the dining hall, you can feel the rejuvenating effect that a good meal can bring on. The way it can make people kinder, funnier, more optimistic, and remind them it’s not a mistake to go on living. It’s better than any medicine.”
― Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay
15. “We are not perfect. We make mistakes. We screw up but then we forgive and move forward.”
― Nicholas Sparks, The Last Song